Employment figures released yesterday showed the number of people in work is at a record high, with more than 3 million people in work since 2010, while the number of people out of work is at the lowest level in over 40 years.
- Employment: 32.14 million (up 181,000 over the past three months and up more than 3 million since 2010).
- Employment rate: 75.3 per cent (up 0.8 points over the past year and up 5.1 points since 2010).
- Unemployment: 1.46 million (down 175,000 over the past year and down by over a million since 2010).
- Unemployment rate: 4.3 per cent (down 0.6 points over the past year and down 3.7 points since 2010).
- Claimant count (Jobseeker’s Allowance and Universal Credit not in work): 806,525 in August 2017.
- Wages: Pay before bonuses pay rose 2.1 per cent over the last year.
- Youth unemployment: There are 410,000 fewer young people out of work since 2010 (in the three months to June 2017 there were 528,000 young people out of work).
Under this Conservative government, unemployment is at its lowest level since 1975. Over 3 million more people are now in work since 2010. Unemployment in all three areas of Nottingham City are down by at least 33%, with unemployment down by an amazing 41% in Nottingham South.
Under this Conservative Government there are more people in work than ever before, the level of young people out of work has dropped below 5 per cent for the first time ever while the level of women in work is at a record high. We are giving more people the security of a regular pay packet and more young people are gaining the experience they need to help them get on in life.
Only the Conservatives are building a strong economy that works for everyone, giving people the chance of a better life for them and their families.